Celebration of Service
UVA is committed to public service within the community, commonwealth, nation and world. To honor this work, we are hosting a Celebration of Service, open to all members of the University and community. The event will include an array of public service organizations, including student service Contract-Independent Organizations, Madison House programs and numerous nonprofits, active throughout Charlottesville. The event will feature a pair of community DJs, guest alumni, free food trucks opening at 11:00 a.m. and opportunities to learn about the great work happening throughout our community. Attendees can also participate in a passport exercise for the chance to win several prizes. President Ryan and others will speak at 10:00 a.m. from the stage in the Amphitheatre.
FOOD DONATION: Everyone attending is encouraged to bring a nonperishable food item to donate to the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank. Collection bins will be available in front of Garrett Hall and Minor Hall. 5K participants also can bring donations to John Paul Jones Arena Friday evening or the Aquatic & Fitness Center Saturday morning when they pick up their race packets.
PRIZE DRAWINGS: The Celebration of Service will give attendees a chance to learn more about service organizations and opportunities. In addition, attendees can pick up a passport, complete several tasks, and then be entered into a drawing to win the following prizes:
- Basketball signed by Tony Bennett, Tina Thompson, Carla Williams, and Jim Ryan
- Two tickets in the President’s Box at Scott Stadium for the Liberty football game
- Two tickets in the President’s Suite at a men’s home basketball game *
- Two tickets in the President’s Suite at a women’s home basketball game *
- Two tickets in the President’s Suite at JPJ for a concert or event *
- Diploma frame from the University Bookstore – compliments of the Honor Committee
* Some exclusions may apply.
To be eligible for the prize drawing, attendees must complete three of the following five tasks:
- Donate a nonperishable food item for the Blue Ridge Food Bank
- Donate a pair of gently-used running shoes
- Write a thank you note to UVA staff members (postcards will be available on site)
- Visit the tent to watch videos about service activities in the community
- Visit the tables of three community service organizations associated with the Center for Nonprofit Excellence, the beneficiary of the race proceeds.
In addition, we invite student service organizations to participate in the Celebration of Service Showcase. Highlighting a variety of projects and interests, the Showcase will focus on the spirit of community and service that our students embody across Grounds.
To learn more and participate, visit the video submission page.
- October 20, 2018
- 9:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- McIntire Amphitheatre, Central Grounds