Inauguration Weekend Policies, Public Safety & Security
The University of Virginia respects and encourages free expressive activity by its students, faculty, and staff. At the same time, consistent with its educational mission, the University has established reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on such activities on University Grounds to assure that such activities are undertaken in ways that avoid disruption of University operations, and are consistent with its educational, employment, and safety responsibilities to its students, faculty, and staff. For an overview of the University’s policy on protests, demonstrations, and other expressive activities during inauguration events, visit the Policy Directory.
Prohibited Items at the Inauguration
For the safety of participants, the following items are prohibited during inauguration events:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animals (except service animals)
- Artificial noisemakers
- Bags (except clear bags 12”x6”x12”)
- Balls, Frisbees, and similar items
- Folding chairs or stools
- Laser pointers
- Sticks and poles (including sports equipment)
- Unmanned aircraft systems (including drones)
- Weapons, fireworks, and explosives**
- * Only tents (including pop-up tents) arranged by the University are allowed on Central Grounds during inauguration events.
- ** Inauguration events are "educational activities” at which these items are prohibited for members of the University community, general public, and visitors in accordance with University Policy and Regulation.
Strollers: Umbrella strollers are encouraged due to the lack of space on the Lawn to accommodate large strollers. Strollers are not allowed at John Paul Jones Arena.
In addition to the list above, backpacks, large bags, coolers, and balloons are prohibited in John Paul Jones Arena for all inauguration events. The arena is a smoke-free building (including e-cigarettes).
The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the ceremony or that interferes in the enjoyment of the event by others.
To provide a safer environment for attendees and significantly expedite entry onto the Lawn, UVA is implementing a clear bag policy and utilizing metal detectors for the inauguration on Friday, October 19, 2018.
These security enhancements mirror those used for events at Scott Stadium and John Paul Jones Arena.
- Metal detectors will be used at the designated entrances to the Lawn and all entrances to John Paul Jones Arena.
Clear Bag Policy
Attendees will only be able to carry the following style and size bag onto the Lawn:
- A bag that is clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC and does not exceed 12”x6”x12” or
- A one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- One small clutch bag, approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap can be taken to the event with one of the clear plastic bags.
- All other bags will not be permitted.
- A list of prohibited bags includes, but is not limited to: purses, backpacks, drawstring bags that are not clear, briefcases, coolers, fanny packs, luggage, computer bags, camera bags, binocular cases, and diaper bags.